Whether you’re considering downsizing when your children go to college, as your retirement plans are finally close, or you realize that maintaining your current home is not as reasonable as it used to be, there are great housing options available to you. There are many reasons that it makes sense to downsize to a smaller, ranch style (single story) home or condo – especially when it means you don’t need to worry about mowing and snow removal! Making this decision to downsize your home can be complicated because it is filled with great memories and most people do not dream of the day they buy a smaller home. Here are some tips to help you in the decision to downsize.
You can always get help throughout the process from Jessica Ball, a realtor with experience in helping to find a home more suitable to your needs and to assist you in selling your current home. Contact me to get a list of homes that meet the criteria you are looking for, or see all ranch (single story) homes for sale here and condos for sale here.
- Start planning your downsizing in advance and set some goals. Talk with your spouse, family and children to make sure everyone is on the same page. This can help avoid hurt feelings down the road.
- Decide on your needs and wants. How many guest bedrooms and how much large furniture do you need moving forward? What items do you not need to take with your to your next home to accommodate your new lifestyle? Do you need all of the sentimental items that you have or are some ready to be handed down? These decisions should be a reflection of how you want to spend your time and resources moving forward.
- Choose a few quality items over quantity of items and focus on the things that bring your joy and distinction.
- Make a decision to get rid of clutter.
- Include your family in sorting and packing. If you really need some guidance or even someone to do the work for you, there are many professional services out there to assist you with sorting items, selling items, and throughout the entire move. I am happy to recommend some great local services in Peoria and East Peoria.